The original Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum was constructed in 1902. The museum chose Renzo Piano’s team to provide a dynamic new addition that has moved the traditional museum into a new era of curatorial excellence and record membership.
Glass and copper volumes are respectfully positioned to support the architectural presence of the existing palace. The addition includes gallery space, conservation studios, executive offices, a music hall, a green hosue, artists-in-residence housing, and art storage. The project achieved LEED Gold.